ܒܫܝܢܐ B’shayna! Welcome to Modern Syriac Language (Syriac – for short), also known as Sooruth ܐ̄ܣܘܪܬ, Chaldean language ܠܫܢܐ ܟܠܕܝܐ, or Assyrian language ܠܫܢܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ. The grammar of this book represents the fundamental of Syriac language to assist you learn to pronounce the sounds of Syriac, vocabulary, simple grammar, and some Syriac culture.
The language represent in this book is the most widely spoken dialect among the Syriac people which is called “Dashta D’Ninweh – ܕܫܬܐ ܕܢܝܢܘܐ (The Nineveh Plain) dialect.
You might want more; other will want less. Nevertheless, this is our best judgment of what constitute a basic, one course in Syriac language should. We know that a big number of those who study Syriac do so in preparation for some type of pastoral or serving as a deacon at the church. Chapter 6 – The Basic Grammar, Chapter 7 – The Verbs , Appendixes C, D, E, and F will help pastoral students to know more about basic Syriac grammar.
In the meantime, this book will help other people never had chance to learn the language especially Syriac people in diaspora. In general, the design of this grammar reflects both its basic and its primary audience.
What is New in this Edition?
More grammar and verbs added and discussed in chapter 6:
- The Adjectives possessive.
- The Pronominal prefixes.
- The Absolute possessive.
- The Demonstratives.
And the following verb tense added and discussed in Chapter 7:
- The past continuous tense.
- The present perfect tense.
- The future perfect tense.
- The modal verbs: Could, Should, Used To verb, May and May have.
- The conditional, unless/if not, and in case forms.
- Practice exercises added at the end of each chapter for learner to practice his or her acquired knowledge from that chapter..
- Examples of conversations and illustrations were added in Chapters 8 for more practices on the spoken language. More reading paragraphs and stories were added in Chapter 9 for understanding the concept of the spoken language and learning how to use grammar.
To help enhance the readers experience we have recorded chapters 1 to 9 content of this book. This will hopefully guide the reader for better pronunciation and to simplify the navigation of this book. To access the recordings video/audio chapters and for any questions or comments, please visit Book ->3rd Edition 2021->Chapters Recordings-YouTueb.